All images are protected by copyright. Please do not use them without permission. Design: susi-art; Susanna Redeker© 2010-2016

woensdag 15 februari 2012

Corner View "Something"

Something old, something new 
Something borrowed, something blue 
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

A sixpence is a coin that was minted in Britain from 1551 to 1967. 

It was made of silver and worth six pennies. 
So this wedding tradition is definitely English, 
and many sources say that it began in the Victorian era.

To be honest I did not know about this tradition!
I guess it is not a common thing to do in the Netherlands,
or people around me did not bother about this!!
And there are not many weddings around me,
if people do get married it is often a small wedding!

Well maybe other people around the world have more
weddings or know more about it, take a look at:  Francesca

9 opmerkingen:

  1. Cute drawing :-) I like the lace effect borders

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. of course it's not a tradition in the nl, gekkerd! :)
    nice take on it :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. You could be the first one to start the tradition in the Netherlands. You already have great ideas for when the time comes.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. now i have just discovered about sixpence!
    and thank you!
    n♥

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. How nice to learn something about this tradition! Doesn't the "sixpence" thing strike you as odd, though? I mean, two coins (5+1) in a bride's shoe must be uncomfortable :) Unless, of course, they didn't have a decimal coin system back then, in which case it could have been one single coin!
    Sorry for blah blah, I haven't had my morning coffee yet! (and sorry for all the hassle with the commenting yesterday!)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

thanks for passing by and leave me a note!

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment!

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment!